Monday, May 12, 2008

Weekend-Blues?

Elizabeth Jamison would like to know what people are doing to maintain their health programs over the weekends? Many times it is true that we get in a routine and do really well in the week and then by the weekend we have errands, going to dinner with friends, kids events,etc. that throw us off track. We lose sight of our goals. If anyone has any feedback on how to be strict on the weekends please comment in the comment section below.

Sometimes if you get your workout in early in the morning then you still have a full day to complete other things. Going out to eat on the weekends is another killer-counting calories and portion control can be an obstacle. I think it is important for everyone to start to develop a sense of when you are really hungry. As a society we tend to emotionally eat, eat because it is lunch time, we're bored, etc. These can be unneccessary calories and make a huge difference in the long run. Part of being healthy is learning about your body type and paying attention to foods and habits that make you feel good or bad.

EX: I don't eat a lot of meat. Whenever I feel tired or not as sharp with day to day tasks, it is usually because I am lacking iron and protein.

6 comments:

Stacy B said...

I actually got my family involved. They could use to lose some weight as well. So that definately makes things a bit easier. Also, I just wanted to mention... there have been suggestions about using calorie counting web sites, and one you recommended was dailyplate.com. I LOVE IT!! It will figure what your caloric intake should be based on your height and weight and based on what your weekly weight loss goal is. It's so easy to look things up and find the calories and keep track each day. It lets you know what you've already taken in and how much you have remaining before you exceed your limit. It will also track calories burned for exercise. I've found it tremendously helpful!!

www.stagedelements. blogspot.com said...

Good to hear! I think it is one of the best out there. It has a lot of restaurant meals too...which can be extremely hard to count.

Elizabeth Jamison said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I did have a better weekend this week. I normally walk and do my I don't want to drive to work on my days off, to excersise. I tried walking in my neighborhood, but there were too many dogs loose, and I was worried about being attacked. I did find a place to walk on sat, but it wasn't too near my home. still in search of a place by my house, but at least getting the excersise in. as for my family joining me, my boyfriend is being very supportive and really getting in on the eating healthier and less, but he isn't willing to get involved in the excersise yet. I hope he sees what it does for me and that will encourage him more. Heat is quickly making outdoor excersise a challenge, but I will find a way. My class at the college is also ending and so what I will do during the summer not sure, but I will get through these challenges. they keep me from getting bored.

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth has been a trooper!! John even encouraged her to use the treadmill, (we have a home office), so he moved it out of our bedroom and into the family room! Elizabeth said,"sure, I'll try it, only if no one else is around!" I've found evidence that she has used it!!Lisa

Elizabeth Jamison said...

Thank you Lisa. I have to say that watching you and John get in your workouts has made me feel both more inclined to do it as well as it is getting easier so i don't feel so clutzy. perhaps soon i won't have to hide to use it :)

chris carrere said...

Elizabeth:
Maybe you could find an exercise partner for the weekend. Knowing I'm to meet with a partner makes me less likely to skip the workout. When I walk with a friend, my mouth moves as fast as my feet, very good for the soul.
As far as meals out go, I count on taking half home for a meal the next day.